Wednesday, September 11, 2024

"Variety of Passion"...

The Gulf fritillary or passion butterfly is a striking, medium-sized butterfly. I was fortunate to get to photograph several of these over a long period recently, and I have the sunburn to prove it. (ha)
With many attempts, including this one, I tried to capture each side of the wings in a single frame, so you can easily see how stunning it is on both the dorsal (top) view and ventral (underside) view. The top view is a deep orange with black streaks, with the underside an amazing mix of colors and white spots. The top view has many cool facets that I will explain in more detail on future photographs, where I have captured more awesome detail.

Gulf fritillary (Dione vanillae).
Holla Bend National Wildlife Refuge, Arkansas.
Photo # DSCF5980c16x9.
(c) Kelly Shipp

 


 

No comments: