Tuesday, March 5, 2024

"The Turning Point"...

Half-way during my 4-mile desert hike, I paused to view the north side of the East Mitten Butte and take a break.  It was an extremely windy day where the wind was blowing over 20mph from the east-to-west direction (left-to-right in this photograph). What worried me was the rain storm, from the East, being carried by this front. At the time, I estimated that it was going to run into me before I finished the 4-mile hike.  What I didn't know is that the wind was already changing direction, to the North. While resting, I decided to take a long-exposure photograph of my view.  Soon afterwards, as I continued my hike, I then realized that I was walking against the wind - it indeed had changed to the North, moving the threatening rain around my return path. I was so happy and relieved that I wasn't going to walk into that storm.
What surprised me about this photograph is that it accurately shows the change in the wind direction. You can see on the left-hand side of the photograph how intent the wind was moving left-to-right, but the right side began to move more south-to-north, almost mid-point over the monument.

Being over 1,000 feet high, the summit of East Mitten Butte is 6,226 feet in elevation.
East Mitten Butte, Navajo Nation Reservation, Monument Valley, AZ.
Photo # K04_4989-5037hdrbw.
(c) Kelly Shipp




No comments: