Sunday, September 16, 2007

Hummingbird Clearwing Moth




I took a few minutes today to photograph one of my daily visitors to my backyard. I haven't yet confirmed if this is the Hummingbird Clearwing Moth or the Snowberry Hummingbird Clearwing Moth. Nonetheless, it's a beautiful creature to watch. It's extremely difficult to photograph since they are so small (about 2 inches tall - which is typical of the Snowberry species), but it's also very fast. It moves and hovers similar to a hummingbird but at a more nervous pace. It's wingbeat is about 30 beats per second, which is impressive for a moth. The ones I photographed last year were about 1-2 inches larger (considerably larger).

Keep in mind, I'm manually focusing my lens to capture these...Here are just a few from today. To give you a sense of size, the flowers you see are about the size of a thumbtack.

No comments: